Monday 21 November 2011

First therapy session

So, Friday 18th November finally came and the first group session is now out of the way. Phew! It was fine, not really sure what I expected but basically there are 7 of us (1 didn’t turn up so there may be 8 next week…if everyone comes back that is…). We started off by working in pairs and then introducing ourselves, we outlined ground rules for the group to make it comfortable for everyone. One being that we are not allowed to talk about any of the others outside of the sessions which is fair enough. The journey we are all embarking on is our own so there is no need to discuss other people’s struggles. The psychologists talked a bit about the plan for the 12 sessions and we did more group work talking about what bulimia means to us and the affects it has, both physical and emotional. We talked about our aims and goals over the 12 weeks, what we want to gain from the group and also our fears and what we struggle with. Finally we came to homework which is something I have always found difficult. This week we have to write down the problems we encounter with our bulimia and the causes they have, and, the dreaded food diary starts. ARGH. However, people who do their homework are more likely to make a full recovery so I must give it a go. The psychologists didn’t put any pressure on though because, at the end of the day, we are only spoiling our own chances of recovery by not participating in the tasks. Plus, even if I only manage to write record a couple of days this week at least I have made a start, then maybe next week I will manage another day…and so on. I can’t start off with a negative, I must do my best. This IS what I want, I want to get better, I NEED to get better and I will no matter how hard it is. Bring on this week’s session, Friday can’t come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment